When will we ever learn?
When will we ever learn?
Nearly 400,000 people in Massachusetts will need to reapply for health insurance before the end of the year, and many of them probably do not even know it.
They are people who do not have employer-sponsored health insurance and who instead sought insurance through the state. After the Massachusetts insurance website failed last year, most of them were enrolled in temporary coverage that ends Dec. 31, which is why they must select a new plan.
This is the newest challenge facing the Massachusetts Health Connector…
Hey, President Obama! Oh, sorry sir. I didn’t see that you were putting. I’ll wait.
Ohhh! So close!
Anyway, the Boston Glob offers a helpful hint out of your signature fiasco, ObamaCare. The next cluster[bleep] that reaches from the pages of the newspaper and slaps us across the face, call it a challenge. Lost your doctor? That’s a challenge. Premiums spike, deductibles spiral? That’s a challenge. Cancer spread while no one could figure out whether your plan was valid? That’s a big challenge.
Our regular readers may be wondering who this serious, stone-faced BTL is. Why haven’t I dissolved into fits of giggles? Where are the tears streaming from my eyes, the snot from my nose?
Here ya go:
Connector leaders want to get people to log on and choose a plan, starting Nov. 15.
To reach them, the Connector plans to place 2 million robocalls and knock on 200,000 doors, along with making personal phone calls, sending mail, buying print and broadcast advertisements, and holding community meetings and enrollment fairs.
The campaign is estimated to cost $15 million to $19 million, money the state will seek from the federal government.
Thanks, Buck! How generous of you, Judi! And all the rest of you tax-paying Americans who bankroll “the federal government”. Nineteen million dollars for enrollment fairs! I bet they have some pretty cool rides at enrollment fairs. Can I be a judge at the best pig competition?
In a document describing the enrollment push, state officials say that one of their main messages to consumers should be to “squarely acknowledge and apologize for last year’s problems,” when a new website developed to comply with the federal Affordable Care Act failed to work properly, leaving thousands of people unable to sign up for insurance.
Maydad Cohen, a special adviser to Governor Deval Patrick, told the board that oversees the Connector Thursday that the state will request an additional $80 million in Medicaid funds to complete rebuilding of the website. That brings to $254 million the cost of the failed Connector project and its rebuilding, with all but $30 million paid by the federal government.
What’s another $19 million on top of the $224 million you’ve already wasted—I mean, spent—on us?
It’s not like it’s really our fault:
The state established the Connector as the cornerstone of its 2006 health care overhaul. But in 2013, the Connector’s website needed to be upgraded to comply with the Affordable Care Act.
The revamped site never worked properly and could not determine whether individuals were eligible for subsidies or MassHealth, the state’s Medicaid health plan for the poor.
See? We had a working plan (sort of), called RomneyCare, until Obama came along and junked it. Then we got stuck with the POS the rest of you have, ObamaCare. You (the federal government) broke it; why shouldn’t you pay to fix it?
Money well spent!
Cohen expressed confidence that when consumers log on they will find a functioning website able to take them from log-on to health plan choice.
“We are much further along than we were last year at this time,” he said after the meeting.
Give us another year, and we’ll have this thing doing backflips!
HEEHEEHEEHEEHEE!!!!! Anyone have a tissue?