Who Believes That Romney Can Beat Obama?

Just asking.

Just by way of analysis, not meaning to be pro- or anti-Romney’s candidacy — but can anybody give me even a halfway convincing explanation for why the commentariat thinks that Mitt Romney is so much more electable than some of the other GOP candidates? (And no, polls don’t count: Polls aren’t actual analysis, and head-to-head polls for next fall mean absolutely nothing at this stage of a race other than a rough sense of name ID. If they did, Jimmy Carter would have beaten Ronald Reagan by 32 points.)

I bring this article to your attention because it analyzes each of the Republican candidates. If you’re too lazy for the click, here’s the upshot: Perry has never lost a race, but has grievously underperformed so far, and Santorum has won all but one election.

- Aggie

7 Comments »

1. Bloodthirsty Liberal said,

January 11, 2012 @ 6:52 am

I’m too lazy to click, but not too lazy to comment.

If the question is “can anyone beat Obama”, then the answer is yes, if polls are to be believed. Any generic Republican could.

Then the real question is if or why Romney can’t. Will evangelicals stay away in droves, depriving the Republican candidate of a dependable constituency? Will conservatives also flock elsewhere rather than vote for the RINO governor of the most liberal state in the union? Will opponents of socialized medicine decide to take the blue pill or the red pill over voting for the guy who drew up the blueprint of ObamaCare? Will the white working class—all but given the middle finger by Obama—give it in return to the Wall Street corporate raider who’s fired more workers than they’ve had hot meals?

Maybe to all. But people are looking for a credible alternative to Obama, someone who can handle himself or herself without embarrassment. I think that’s Romney, and we’re all going to have to accept what we don’t like about him to get rid of what we don’t like even more, President Obama.

2. Judi said,

January 11, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Newt is running around like a chicken with is’s head cut off, taking every not Romney position he can think of. His behavior is making him look like a crazy jilted boyfriend. I have lost the little respect I had for him.

Santorum, well, he’s just not very likable. I think if a person doesn’t agree with his positions it will be hard to get past the sour look on his face and feel good about voting for him.

Ron Paul, well, yeah, um, no.

Huntsman would be the hardest one for conservatives to vote for. Too suspiscious.

Perry, I keep forgetting he’s still running. Not good.

Go Sarah!! So that leaves Romney. He’s still more likely to repeal Obamacare than Obama. He’s a grown-up. Sometimes grown-ups have to fire people. I think most people get that.

3. Bloodthirsty Liberal said,

January 11, 2012 @ 10:05 am

My biggest concern about Romney is that I once had the opportunity to get to know some intelligent, well-connected evangelicals, during the previous cycle. And they all told me that they didn’t think evangelicals would vote for Romney. Perhaps that has changed?

- Aggie

4. Judi said,

January 11, 2012 @ 11:15 am

I know many evangelicals (me) and while he is not a favorite candidate, I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t vote for him because of religion. Personally, I’d prefer a mormon to a catholic because they seem more able to live by the values of their faith which are mostly the same values as evangelicals.

I do believe, as I did at the time, that he lost the last nomination because of evangelicals. I think it is why Huckabee stayed in the race even when it was clear he couldn’t win. I think they may still try to stop his nomination but will vote for him in the general election.

5. Taoist said,

January 11, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

And the article fails to remember that Newt Gingrich orchestrated an entire takeover of congress, to Mitten’s one successful election.

For the life of me, I just cannot understand why Mitt is seen as so electable, other than thinking that he’s seen that way because the media thinks he’s the one candidate who can lose to Obama.

6. Bloodthirsty Liberal said,

January 11, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

Judi,

Do you think that evangelical turnout will be as high as it would have been if, say, Huckabee was the nominee? Because we absolutely need very high turnout to have any chance at a win. Again, as of the last race, I knew several thoughtful evangelicals who just flat-out refused to vote for him. It concerns me.

- Aggie

7. judi said,

January 12, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Just defeating Obama and the pro life issue should be enough, but maybe it’s not. I thought they would show up for Huckabee but nobody else would. I personally would have a hard time showing up for Huckabee but I’m among the conservatives who sill show up and vote for whiever the Republican nominee is.

What a difference a day makes. Rush has been asking for a year, “what makes everybody so sure Romney can win, He is not enough of a contrast to Obama”. Now we have Romney defending his business tactics because it’s what Obama did with GM.

I can’t believe we are in this position. I was finally willing to back Romney because he was at least better than the other incompetents running. I am literally sick to my stomach over this rediculous, embarassing mess we call the Republican primary.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI